Wednesday

Tracking behavior in preschool


In my opinion, one of the hardest things to help students with in preschool is modifying their behavior.   In order to know if they demonstrate behaviors (okay, usually this is obvious) that need modification and to know if our interventions are working we need to have some kind of tracking system. I have talked about data collection before and I know that one system doesn't work for everyone.  I switch my behavior tracking systems sometimes multiple times throughout the year.  Today, I wanted to share some ideas that work for me.

First things first, you need to identify the behavior you are targeting.  Once you have your target behavior you can move onto one of these methods.

Matrix:

 I have said before and I will say it again.  This is a great system of you can keep up with it.  In my current position, I find it difficult to keep up with.  You can find out more about that by checking out this post.

Tally: 

Sometimes I find the easiest way for me to track is a simple tally sheet.  Currently, I am doing this to keep track of the number of times I need to redirect a student during circle. One of my coworkers shared a how many times sheet she found at this website (Really, there a few great tools here).

Rubber band or paper clips: 

Something else I have talked about before.  Put paperclips in your pocket or rubber bands around your wrist.  Move them to the opposite pocket when the behavior is exhibited.  If you need to track multiple students or behaviors you can use a different color for each.

Task analysis: 

Sometimes we think a task analysis is just for teaching a student to do a task.  However, right now I have the perfect example to use for behavior.  One of my kiddos refuses to use the bathroom at school.  This student is completely potty trained.  We decided to break down the task of using the toilet to figure out what may be the reason behind her behavior.  We now are tracking how they do with each step and finding that the act of standing in the bathroom is not the issue.  To track this, I have a sheet that lists each step and then a space next to the stop for the date, level of prompting, success rate, and reinforcements needed.

The biggest thing you have to remember is to do what works for you.  If you don't like it, you won't do it.


1 comment:

  1. Nice article this article has been my favorite, interesting and informative article.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from the crew!