Tuesday

December Fine Motor Fun!



Can you believe it is December already?!  After Thanksgiving, we dove right into holiday prep and lots of holiday activities.  This year my class seems to be weak in fine motor so I am trying to incorporate various activities each week to work on building up those little muscles.

Decorate a gingerbread man

My students love playdough!  An easy adaption to just using playdough is to have a cut out of a gingerbread man and challenge the students to make eyes, nose, mouth, buttons etc.  I love seeing what they come up with!

My original mats came from Unique learning systems last year, but I could not locate those this year.  So a quick fix was, I searched for gingerbread man and printed out a couple that I found on the internet.  I then laminated them for durability and to make cleanup easier.  You can also find some great free gingerbread house mats at PreKinders!

Making Ornaments

So this one is two-fold.  Work on fine motor and knock out a parent gift in one!  I found these cute felt ornaments at Hobby Lobby that also have a little picture frame.  We used glitter to decorate them a bit.  Instead of just shaking on the glitter, I gave each student a small pile of glitter.  They then needed to "pinch" and "sprinkle" to put the glitter on the glue. This went amazingly well with the 2 and 3 year old kiddos.

Cutting Practice

My 4/5 year old class needs major cutting help.  To help this we made presents with wrapping paper.  They each got a rectangle of white paper (we are also working on rectangles).  Next they needed to glue on wrapping paper, but first they had to cut the wrapping paper into rectangles.  Each student was given 3 strips to cut into 4 or 5 pieces.  They then used a glue sponge to glue down the pieces.


I hope this gives you a few fun ideas to help you through this busy time of year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from the crew!