Thursday

The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything

We spent all of last week working on the book The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything. I love to use this book because of the interaction you can have with it. We have movements for each part of the book. Shoes (stomp with our feet) Pair of Pant (wiggle our bottoms) Shirt (Shake our arms) Gloves (clap hands) hat (nod head) Pumpkin Head (say boo!) We also use props. I start the book with visuals on the board. We then add a hat, shoes, gloves, etc, and each student has a responsibly for a part of the story. This helps to keep them engaged.

This year we used story sticks from Make Learning Fun (If you haven't checked out this website, it is fantastic!)  She suggested using paint sticks to make the story sticks, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used two Popsicle sticks hot glued together.  I found out quickly that this would not work for my students, so on to plan B.  I used duct tape to hook the two sticks together. This not only accomplished the task of  keeping the sticks together, but made them stand out more also. I used the sticky puddy like stuff that you can use to hook posters to the wall to add the pictures.  This made the pictures removable and I didn't need to use Velcro. (which I am quickly going through this year) My students used theses during the story by adding each  item as the Little Old Lady came up to it in the book.  They also used it to sequence the story and to retell the story.





Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower. I found you through TBTS!

    TheJugglingTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a Liebster award. Come see what it is all about. a basket full of apples

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just nominated you for a Liebster Award (an award for new bloggers). Check out my post here
    ~Hailey from Autism Tank

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from the crew!