Saturday

Valentine's Day(week) Activities

Wow! It feels like February is just flying by! We did a few different activities to celebrate Valentine's Day that I wanted to share.

We used the Valentine Hearts to practice sorting by color and counting.  When we started sorting I realized there was not enough of the hearts to sort onto for the colors we had.  I decided just to wait it out and see what the kiddos did.  It was really interesting to watch.  One made his own spot on the paper to add his blue hearts and one of the others decided to put his hearts on his neighbors pile of yellow hearts.   What great problem solving!

We made cards for our parents by taking a coffee filter heart and using washable markers to color it.  Then we used a water sprayer (I can not think of the name of it right now) and squirted our hearts.  I put the heart on a cookie sheet when the kids sprayed so that I could try to contain some of the water.  Of course I forgot to take a picture of this!! After the hearts dried we glued them onto a piece of pink paper and decorated them.

We also made cards for various people in the building.  I used the die cut to cut out hearts and then made labels that said Happy Valentine's Day!  The kids then stuck the labels onto the hearts.  We put them in a basket and delivered them to our office staff, past teachers, etc.  The kids had to hand it to the person and say Happy Valentine's Day.  This activity helped to work not only on fine motor(putting the stickers on the heart), but also communication and social skills. Of course I completely forgot to take pictures of the hearts.


We also have been using hearts to practice our numbers.  Similar to the way we practice our sight words with shapes on the floor.  We do the same thing with numbers.   I used the same hearts as last year and it made me realize how far some of my kids have come.  Last year I had a student working on numbers 1-5.  This year that student was finding all of the numbers for 20-30.  Amazing!
    Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog on the Wallflowers site on FB! I love the hearts made from coffee filters! What an awesome and easy idea. I always seem to struggle trying to come up with art activities that will not take a long time. I am a new follower!

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee filters are so neat when you spray them with the water the drawing looks like it is melting. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. It looks like your kiddos had a great time! :)

    What a cute blog! :) I'm a new follower! Keep up the great work. :)

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from the crew!