Saturday

Skip counting


Wow, I really feel like I am neglecting my blog and my readers since school started. It has just been so crazy around here. Anyway... this week with my 2nd grade math class I worked on skip counting. I also find this a hard area to teach... not sure why. We used a hundreds chart so we could see the patterns when counting by 2's, 5's and 10's. The students also filled out their own hundreds chart and colored or crossed out the numbers that we use when skip counting.

I use a lot of music in my classroom, so we sang skip counting song for counting by 2's and 5's. The 2's song goes to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and the 5's song to the tune of Row, Row, Row your boat. After we sing it over a few days, I give each student a copy of the "words" to put in their math interactive notebooks. I give them the "words" with some blanks so that they have to practice their skip counting. It is always nice to hear them singing the songs. I was going to add the sheet, but it looks like I left the USB at school, so I will add it to a later post. If you would like me to email it to you, just comment below.

While searching for something else to use for them, I came across a youtube video that was a HUGE hit. One of my students was even dancing. I love seeing my students truly enjoying learning.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Randy Sue McKeever9/24/2011 8:48 PM

    Hi Caitlin Thanks so much for posting this! I have special needs students that are older and this is going to thrill them to death to have something more up to date than my old stuff! The principal has offered to come and sing and dance with us.. he will love this too!
    Can you send me the words? Thanks so much!
    Randy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I just awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!
    Fun 2B in First

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from the crew!